[pct-l] Multiple attempted 'suicides' on PCT in WA

enyapjr at adelphia.net enyapjr at adelphia.net
Sat Oct 14 05:25:11 CDT 2006

I have been 'blasted' for some of my posts in the past - some justifiably so for not wording things correctly or not explaining fully enough (being 'too wordy' in my mind)...

One such time was October, 2005, the "Yellow Blazing" thread in reference to the WA detour...  What would others 'do' when reaching the detour in 2006?

I made note that if I were hiking, "I would probably either try the 'permanent' route without the bridges or the High Pass route (see <http://www.phlumf.com/>)...  I will just have to wait and see until I actually get there to make the decision at that time!"

The 'blast' was that trying the permanent route was "...insane. Suicidal."
"For prospective hikers, I would not, absolutely not, recommend or endorse this idea."
All that from what they saw in August of 2003...

Granted, I didn't fully explain I would do 'library internet' research while in towns if I was hiking - to ascertain stream flow rates and summer precipitation data...  so I had some of it coming...  But "absolutely not" in October, 2005 (because of what they saw in August, 2003), as to what to do in August or September, 2006?

I've been following numerous journals this year, and I finally started laughing out loud when yet another group took the permanent route without bridges - and had no problems doing so...
I didn't keep a tally of how many journalists took the permanent PCT - but there were quite a few...  Multiple attempted 'suicides' - yet all failed (suicide, that is!)...
YHTBT (you had to be there) to decide, and HYOH was truly shown this year...

My congrats to all of the class of 2006...  snow, fires, and all, it was quite a year...  "You done good"

Take any advice (mine included) with a grain of salt...  Then make up your own mind...
If you need someone else to tell you how to do things or to make your decisions for you, you shouldn't be out there in the first place!

Be safe.  Enjoy!  Happy trails!!!