[pct-l] RE The "Guide book" - Something Positive

Jim Keener jlkeener at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 13 19:09:16 CDT 2006

Hi Adam and others,

I am sorry you had a bad experience with the Guide
Book. When I hiked 900 miles in 2004, I had prepared
for the trail using Yogi's book, the Guides published
by Wilderness Press and the Data Book. I was glad to
have used all three. None of the books gave me
everything I wanted, neither were any of them
completely accurate. But using the three of them, Web
sites and this list gave me as good a background as I
think I could have gotten without hiking.

The tone of your message is biting and seems to imply
that Yogi is just another hiker. Well, if being a
Triple Crown completer, having hiked the PCT through
twice and about 1,200 miles of it on another trip
makes one just another hiker, that's right. But most
experienced backpackers who know her and know of her
might well disagree. And I'm not that experienced, but
I am one who disagrees with your characterization.

Best regards,
Jim Keener

http://electricpath.com