[pct-l] Ray Memorial

Carolyn Eddy ECPG at peoplepc.com
Thu Oct 12 12:01:09 CDT 2006

Despite the fact that it may be illegal, I think that there is a higher
imperative here. When you, as a hiker, have spent so much time in certain
places, they have become a part of you. In turn, spreading ashes is a way
for you to become a part of them. :-)

And there are small and not-so-small monuments along the trail, some are
invisible unless you happen to come across them, since they are set just off
the trail far enough to not be easily found. My dad and I found a cairn with
a chainsaw blade cemented into it up off the PCT near Whatum Lake. It had a
name etched into it. It is off the trail and we would never had seen it
except by accident.

I can't think of anything worse than sticking a hiker inside a building for
eternity, or until the building is sold. :-(

Just my thoughts. I think Ray and his wife's wishes should be accomodated as
far as scattering, but I do like the idea of a larger, more permanent
monument being located outside the wilderness boundary.

Just my random thoughts.

Carolyn Eddy
"Sweet Goat Mama"
www.goattracksmagazine.com