[pct-l] Plantar Fascia problems

Richard Woods wpseditor at charter.net
Thu Oct 12 11:13:22 CDT 2006

Anybody out there have experience with full-on plantar fascia
surgery? I'm worried about trashing my feet so bad I have to give up
backpacking. But at this point I'm not able to walk or stand for
sustained periods anyway so I have to try something.

Apparently I'm in the 1% group who just don't heal applying the
usual: orthotics; icing; heating; stretching; ultrasound; night
splints; taping; walking boot; taking NSAIDs for months; cortisone
shots; physical therapy and sedentary strategies. Oh yeah, losing
weight too - I'm down 20 pounds since March - managed without much
exercise.  About the only cardio work I can get seems to be a few
miles of cycling or rowing.

I know what the problem is: chronic damage to the collagen in the
form of micro-tears in the ligament near where it attaches (the
calcaneal tubercle) to the heel bone (the calcaneus). Confirmed by x-
rays (last year and a month ago) and an MRI.

I've been dealing with this for over a year now, and feel I've tried
all the conservative strategies. My orthopedist hasn't pushed me into
a decision and I'm currently shopping for a second opinion from
another orthopedist. I can't get into shape if I can't walk more than
a mile without bringing on heel pain. A hike around the grocery store
does it.
I'm open to anyone's input about possible outcomes, potential
treatments that I might have missed....

Rick