[pct-l] OT topic/humor

gwtmp01 at mac.com gwtmp01 at mac.com
Mon Oct 9 17:13:06 CDT 2006

I marked this OT because it isn't really PCT related but more about
mailing lists in general.

On Oct 8, 2006, at 10:32 PM, robert vance wrote:
> Of course not. Here is my problem. lately their are a couple of
> people who have taken it upon themselves to censor what we can talk
> about.

Criticism and/or disagreement is not censorship.  You say that others
can simply ignore and not read political postings, which is true but
beside the point. Those who are bothered by such criticism (right or
wrong) can also take your advice and just ignore those postings and/
or authors. So your 'solution' to the problem really doesn't change
anything.

Off-topic postings on PCT-L are hardly a big problem.  I think PCT-L
has an excellent signal-to-noise ratio, but lists only stay that way
if the members are dutiful in pointing out when discussions have
strayed.  It is like tending a garden.  You'll never truly prevent
weeds from popping up here and there but but you can't ignore the
problem either or it may eventually become overwhelming (like my
backyard!).

> but political speech p.c.t.related is and has always been  allowed.

Yes, of course.  I've yet to see any truly PCT related political
commentary being prohibited or falsely labeled as 'off-topic'.  For
the most part I think that members of this list take your advice and
simply ignore much of the off-topic (political or not) postings.

Of course this all depends on what you think is 'PCT related
political commentary'.  For example, some might argue that since
global warming will lead to the end of glaciers in the Glacier Peak
Wilderness then global warming is therefore PCT related and so are
government policies related to global warming.

But if you accept that sort of thing as 'PCT related', well then
pretty much *any* topic can be connected to the PCT, which suggests
quite clearly that that particular definition of 'PCT related' is
less than useful.

Gary Wright (Radar)