[pct-l] ultralight packs

Rebecca Mezoff rlmezoff at cybermesa.com
Sat Oct 7 11:17:55 CDT 2006

So the family wedding (sister) is now over and I'm ready to prepare
in earnest for the PCT '07 adventure.  My first order of business is
to figure out a pack.  It seems the logical place to start as
everything has to fit inside it... although I already have the
tarptent and stove made and much of the other gear finished or in the
works.  I'm hoping all you very experienced backpackers can give me
some suggestions.

Firstly, I'm a lightweight packer and an aspiring UL packer for this
trip.  I have used a Mountainsmith Ghost for years and love this
pack.  It is about 2 pounds, fits well, and even though I've pounded
the heck out of it over at least 1,000 miles, shows little wear.
However, I'm concerned about the amount of space I'll need for the
high Sierras.  The Ghost is a fairly small pack.  I can fit enough
food for 6-7 days plus gear (I strap my tarptent rolled in a
Ridgerest to the bottom of the pack), but that is the absolute limit
of this pack and there is no extension.  I think a pack with an
extension collar might be more useful for the PCT journey as loads
will fluctuate depending on conditions... and in the Sierra I'll have
a bear canister (yep, I believe they're important although I'm
already cursing the extra weight) and depending on the snow likely
ice axe, etc.

I'm a good seamstress and have made much of my gear.  I'm considering
making a pack also, but want to look into what is out there for
purchase first (at least for ideas, and perhaps to buy since many of
these packs seem quite inexpensive).  I don't know if I'll be able to
get the materials I need to make a pack.  I have been unable to give
up a hipbelt and also want some padding in the belt and shoulder
straps (boney prominences get very sore!).  I've read Carol "Brawny"
Wellman's book and some of her gear suggestions are good... And I
just found the GVP G4 instructions which seem good...  Has anyone
made and used this pack?  Has anyone made and used this pack for
2,600 miles?

Any favorite UL commercial packs?
And one last thing--I'd really like the pack to weigh 2 pounds or
less (and many of the "UL" packs made seem much heavier than this...)
Thanks!
Rebecca

PS  This site is very helpful for those of us planning on hiking the
PCT and the humor posts, journals, and photos are all part of the
experience...  So I implore you all, for the sake of a newbie who
needs the information some of you possess, stop the bickering and use
your delete key if you don't like what someone else says.