[pct-l] Trail food

Steel-Eye chelin at teleport.com
Fri Oct 6 06:43:27 CDT 2006

Good morning, Bob or Diana,

There can be considerable variation in food requirements depending upon your
size, load, speed, distance, and metabolism, and the temperature, grade and
condition of the trail.  Given average conditions a good general rule is
plan to burn about 120 Calories per mile incremental, meaning more than you
would burn in an average day at home.  For example, if you averaged 2,500
Calories at home, you could add 2,400 Calories for a 20-mile trail day.
Most
hikers try to increase their percentage of fat content in their diets
because fat, with 9 Calories/gram, is much more energy-dense than
carbohydrate and protein at 4 Calories/gram.

A useful source of information on the Thru-Hiker site is below:

http://www.thru-hiker.com/articles.asp?subcat=12&cid=39

Steel-Eye