[pct-l] Hiking the PCT wihout a shelter?

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Tue Nov 28 22:16:41 CST 2006

Carry no shelter of any kind for the entire PCT? How good are your wilderness survival skills? Unless you have experience building and using adequate weather-resistant shelters made from only available materials, you'd be extremely ill-advised to try it.

There are VERY few shelters still standing on the PCT.  I can remember only two north of Yosemite NP:  South Brown Mountain shelter in Oregon section B and Camp Urich in WA section I. Both are maintained and reliable. Most of the others have long ago been torn down or have simply fallen down due to neglect and/or vandalism.

Wandering Bob