[pct-l] O.d. Coyote

JoAnn M. Michael jomike at cot.net
Tue Nov 28 12:30:14 CST 2006

I very much liked your post. I have long felt that since I do not chose all the misc. gear that some of the most light weigh folks use, I am a bit to be pitied. Doesn't bother me any more. As my confidence in my hiking abilities has increased, so has my satisfaction with my choice of my gear. I have learned a lot from those extreme light weight folks though; so I certainly thank them for that.
Another area that seems to generate this sort of controversy is pack
weight/gear selection.  I've spoken with hikers who carry a little
more gear than average and are constantly chided by the lighter-
weight hikers about their gear choices.  At some point that endless
scolding is no longer friendly banter but is more about attempting to
enforce some sort of pack-weight pecking order.  Why?