[pct-l] O.d.Coyote - Diluted Triple Crown Award?

Ron Moak rmoak at sixmoondesigns.com
Tue Nov 28 11:11:34 CST 2006

Personally, I disagree that the Triple Crown Award has been in anyway
diluted in the last few years. The award is presented simply to honor those
who've hiked the three trails AT, PCT and CDT. In order for the award to be
diluted, one must assume that somehow personal motivation is a component of
the award. It's not!

The reasons people hike are as varied as the individuals themselves. And as
with all things, motivations will evolve overtime. To say that some
motivations are more pure than others, strikes me as somewhat elitist.

It's all too similar to the endless AT Purest debates. I guess it's a
natural human characteristic. Whenever an increasing number of people begin
accomplishing something we feel makes us unique, we attempt to preserve our
stature by finding ways to question the validity of their efforts.

Considering all the forces aligned against hikers in an effort to open more
trails to multiple use, it's a shame we seem to need to find ways to further
divide ourselves.

Fallingwater