[pct-l] Emailing: hypocold

gwtmp01 at mac.com gwtmp01 at mac.com
Sat Nov 18 12:41:10 CST 2006

On Nov 18, 2006, at 12:49 PM, dsaufley at sprynet.com wrote:
> One thing to be sensitive to about the "umbles" is that they will
> probably occur in exactly the opposite order in which you listed
> them.   The affected individual will begin with grumbling (a sign
> easy to dismiss), then progressively fumbling and mumbling, until
> finally reaching the more obvious of the symptoms, stumbling.  A
> keen eye to others' behaviors (and awareness of one's own) can
> address the condition earlier rather than later.

Another difficult aspect to dealing with hypothermia is that those
suffering from it will often insist they are OK or don't need
assistance.  In the latter stages of hypothermia a person will
actually think they are hot and start removing clothes.  When hiking
in hypothermic conditions I find that I must instantly add layers
when I stop for a break to avoid rapidly cooling down.   It is easy
to ignore the fact that it is much much harder to warm up than cool
down.  Thinking that you are only stopping for a short break you can
find yourself struggling to warm up for a long time after the break
if you aren't careful.  Hats (even better--balaclavas) and gloves
help a lot in hypothermic conditions.

I think hypothermia and dehydration are the two most common and
overlooked first-aid issues for hikers.

Gary Wright (Radar)