[pct-l] Reasons for Quiting

Monty Tam metam01 at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 14 14:04:19 CST 2006

Hi Ned
Reasons thru-hikers quit?
This survey could help a lot of hikers this year.
I'd like to see the results you get.

According to some reliable local sources, some veteran hikers, Denise
Banner (Postmaster Warner Springs) and Dennis Parry (EMT Warner Springs) as
many as 50 % of thru-hikers get off the trail at Warner Springs, just 110
miles north of Mexico.  The main reason by far I've heard is foot problems.
Ripped up feet.  This is mentioned in the April 2006 PCTA Communicator,
p.21.
My experience and observations would give a lot of validity to these claims.

In 2004 I went home for a few days at a time all the way up to Tehachapi
where I took a full week.  I started with shoes that were my regular size
for the first 90 miles.  I found that shoes, in my case, one and one half
sizes too big were the solution...(a little late) and to tie shoes very
slightly loose.  I also didn't have enough regular foot conditioning hikes
prior to starting the hike.
I made my fourth shoe change just before the Sierras to a shoe that, even
though big enough, pinched my right big toe.  By Whitney I needed a doctor.
In Bishop I had minor toe surgery which put me back on the trail right away.
Another common reason I saw were stress fractures.  Mine, which I hiked on
most of the way from Wrightwood to Crater Lake, OR, were caused by hiking
too hard and too fast down hill.  A lot of hikers left the trail with
stress fractures.  I took a few days at a time off the trail.  I got off
for three days in Agua dulce, 12 days at Tahoe and 5 days in Ashland.
My final reason for getting off the trail was at 1825 miles, Crater Lake.
During heavy rains with a double stress fracture my tarp and trekking poles
were stolen from the campground.  I returned home September 15th and
finished physical therapy January 1st.

In 2005 with proper conditioning, shoes one and one half sizes too big, a
lighter pack and a bit more experience, I hiked 1300 miles with only one
little blister.  This one was caused by other reasons.  In the rain with
pruned feed I jogged about six miles to the trailhead at White Pass.
Blister bandage at Trout Lake, next stop SOBO, and all was OK.
My reason for leaving the trail that year was my girlfriend drove off a 600
foot (according to the paper)cliff.

There's a few reasons people leave the trail, but the big one I've seen is
feet, shoes, and shoe size.

Warner Springs Monty

absorbing all the trail has to teach, Mountain Education would like to
compile the reasons why nearly 75% of all eager starters decide to abandon
their dream.

> The call goes out to all, no matter the year attempted.  A lengthy
description of the events, thoughts, and emotions that lead you to it would
be appreciated.

> This information would remain name-free, unless you would like others to
know what happened to you, what you went through, what made it difficult
for you.

> We celebrate and congratulate the completers and love to hear their tales
of how it went, what physical, spiritual, and emotional battles they faced
and how they overcame them.  Great stuff!  But what of the others?  A
journey like this is as much internal as it is external and it can change
lives in the doing.  Of the 300 who started this year, it is assumed nearly
225 had to quit.  If we knew why, maybe next year's class would be better
prepared, have more realistic expectations, have more fun, and be able to
go all the way, successfully completing their dream, and able to absorb all
the trail has to offer!

> We will post the compiled info on Mountain Education's website along with
our on-going Snow-Travel Questionnaire data.