[pct-l] Planning...

Scott Polewach spolewach at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 13 02:21:27 CST 2006

I am planning a SOBO PCT thru-hike in 2007.  I plan on beginning at the end
of June/Beginning of July.  I thru-hiked the AT NOBO in 2006, and had a
great time.  I'm trying to get a knowledge base about the skills that I
didn't learn on the AT.

High Elevation:  Is it possible/likely to have problems with elevation
sickness on the AT?

Ice Axe:  Is it possible to learn how to use an ice axe well on my own if I
can get in a few training hikes this coming winter?

Sun:  What are the best methods to avoid the sun?  I found, on the AT, that
even a silkweight shirt was uncomfortably warm, and that I sweated sunblock
off very quickly--simply put, I never really solved the 'sun problem' on the
AT, and I'm sure that the PCT is much worse.

Navigation: How much navigational skill is really required on the PCT?

Will an alcohol stove work well at the elevations the PCT has?

will I be ok with no bear canister?

when/where are insects a problem?

will a 20 deg. bag cut it?

I'm a little worried about being almost totally alone for the majority of my
trip.  Is the PCT really THAT remote?

Thanks,

Scott Polewach

Hermes, the Sandstorm of IWIC