[pct-l] Fwd: [Off-Topic] Marge (Old Gal) Breaks Left Leg

Brick Robbins brick at fastpack.com
Sat Nov 4 11:46:49 CST 2006

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Carl Prothman <carl at prothman.org>
Date: Nov 4, 2006 9:41 AM
Subject: [Off-Topic] Marge (Old Gal) Breaks Left Leg
To: pct-l-owner at backcountry.net

I know Marge (Old Gal) has posted several times on this list and is
known in the PCT community. So I thought I share some news about her
while she was trekking over in Nepal. Marge broke her left femur and
cracked her right pelvis while walking on a road in Pokhara, Nepal.
She was hit by a car which ran over her left leg. Please keep her in
your prayers.

The current plan is to try to fly her back to the US via Bangkok on
Nov 8, 2006. And then have the surgery. She is currently at the
Medicare Hospital in Katmandu.

Thanks,
Carl Prothman (Marge's son)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------From:
Carol Brown [Marge's daughter]
Sent: Thursday, November 02, 2006 11:41 PM
Subject: Marge at "Medicare Hospital" Friday afternoon

We arrived at the Medicare hospital and met with Dr. Pandey.  he is
wonderful.  said all the right things.  he is x-raying mom right now.
Met us at the emergency room.  Wants to consult with his colleague in
the States (the one that Dr. Winquist contacted first) about whether
or not to transport her to the states or do operation  here.  But he
will give us options.  I can't tell you how reassuring this all is.
The transport actually went fairly smoothly all things considered.
They were fueling the plane while mom was being unloaded at the
airport, just in time for a Sikorski helicopter to taxi buy spreading
rotor wash everywhere.  But hey.  Gotta stay flexible. Ambulances here
are just small jeeps with red crosses painted on them and bad drivers.
 No EMTs.   Much to tell you about today's transport.  But it gives me
hope because overall, Mom did good.  One thing I've been thinking
about - if we do transport her, she will need a paramedic who can
administer pain medication (prescription) for that length of journey.
So start thinking about all of Greg's friends who could be shipped
over here to fly back with her.  just an option to consider.  And
again, we'll hear from Dr. Pandey and make an informed decision.  If
we do the surgery here, plan on her being here about 8 weeks. (Think
how long it took Greg to get up and going after surgery.)   That's all
for now.  Must check to see if X-rays are complete and mom is moved to
a room yet.
love,  Carol