[pct-l] Help with PCT Changes in Washington

Terry Norton terry.norton at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 17:50:11 CST 2006

> C. How many of you DID NOT use the Glacier Peak Bypass in the last
> few years? (I know of many Big Guns who don't, routinely). How did
> the major fords go?

Ben,

I took the PCT Glacier Peak route in mid-September this year (2006).
Here are a few general notes.  Hopefully someone can provide specific
information from his or her notes on specific features.

The trailtread appears not to have been maintained on this section
since the floods in 2003.  There is substantial chest high overgrowth
below 5,000 ft elevation, and the trail has not been cleared of
deadfall.  The overgrowth may prove particularly maddening after the
first snow when it is lying down across the trail.

In some areas there has been significant erosion of the trail tread on
steep slopes.  In one drainage the trail has been wiped out by a
mudslide, but travel down a steep slope to other parts of the
switchback is possible. Follow the flagging tape. (I hink this was the
Fire Creek Pass to Fire Creek section. )

Routes across streams have been marked with flagging tape in most
areas.  In September 2006 all of the creeks either were easily forded
or had large trees across them.

The Suiattle River was bridged by two large trees.  Scott Williamson
provided this information to northbound hikers on his southbound leg.
I would not expect these two trees to be in place for the 2007 hiking
season.

cheers,
terry