[pct-l] (no subject)

Jon Danniken danniken at comcast.net
Wed Nov 1 00:52:32 CST 2006

L-Rod wrote:

> Warning:  This is only marginally related to the PCT; many hikers have met
and spent time with my son at Hiker Heaven, and he is part of the trail
community in his own special way.

> It's been a rather emotional morning, though it could have been much
worse.  Last night (though during the day in Iraq) the armored transport my
son Tom and members of his platoon were out patrolling in was hit by a
roadside bomb.  Thank God, my son was unharmed, but his sergeant's knees
were "blown up", as it was relayed to me.  Under enemy fire, Tom pulled his
sergeant out of the vehicle and performed first aid, as he has been trained
to do.  Air support came in, extinguished the enemy fire, and lifted the
sergeant out and off to the hospital.  There was one other injury to another
soldier, but I have no details.  Because of this incident, by performing his
medical duties under fire, my son has qualified for a Combat Medic Badge.

> A year ago today, we were in San Antonio for his graduation as a medic,
and I thought there could be no finer moment than to witness this
accomplishment.  But today, thinking of his sergeant and how Tom helped him
in his hour of need, I know that Tom has a special purpose and has done a
great service for another mother's son.  There's got to be a better way to
make a mom proud.

> Anyway, I wanted to share what happened with you all.

I can't even imagine what you are going through with this, but I am very
glad that your son is okay..  You have a lot to be proud of, and it is
comforting to know that we have men like him in our armed forces.

Jon