[pct-l] SOBO hiker sightings

Brian McLaughlin bmclaughlin at bigplanet.com
Mon Jul 31 11:53:27 CDT 2006

I have only just returned from a PCT section hike in southern WA,
so these sightings are a bit dated. Very likely all these SOBOs have
passed Cascade Locks by now and have had a chance to contact
their loved ones to let them know their progress. However, I
promised I would post this as soon as I returned to the land of
Internet access.

On Wednesday, July 19 I spoke with a young German couple
(whose names I did not ask - sorry). They were at the junction
of Killen Creek Trail and the PCT on the side of Mt. Adams.
They wore GoLite caps and had other GoLite gear. They
were planning to ascend Mt. Adams the next day. They looked
happy, healthy and vigorous.

On Saturday, July 22 I saw Nemo, near the junction of the PCT
with Walupt Lake trail, in the southern part of the Goat Rocks
Wilderness. He, too, looked hale and was doing great to all
appearances, in spite of tremendous heat and humidity that day.

An hour later up the trail I met Notorious B.O.B. She seemed
a bit tired (very understandable in the heat that day) and
said she was doing well and was healthy.

If I saw any other SOBOs, we passed each other on the trail
without my identifying them.