[pct-l] Sections I & J

Carolyn Clark dr_carolyn at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 18 21:33:17 CDT 2006

I am planning to begin Section I about July 27.  Does anyone have recent information about the river crossings?  I have read that Escape Ck, Kerrick Cyn, and Stubblefield Cyn can be treacherous.  I am timid of rushing water because I wasn't born with the greatest sense of balance and I also get cold easily.  I will be traveling with two others (who are fortunately stronger and braver than I am).  How bad do you think the crossings will be by late July?  Do we need to bring a rope?  If so, how thick should it be?

  I have also read in the Guidebook that the snowfields are often dangerous heading north out of Sonora Pass and over Elephant's Back.   We probably won't start Section J until Aug 5. Should we bring instep crampons?  Will hiking poles be sufficient or do we need ice axes?

  I appreciate any insights that any of you might have.  Feel free to reply to me privately at dr_carolyn at yahoo.com. I've been having some trouble receiving the list.

  Thank you,
  Carolyn

Carolyn Clark, Ph.D.