[pct-l] Is it just me?

Deems losthiker at sisqtel.net
Tue Jul 11 19:08:28 CDT 2006

I choose to live in the past, I understand it best. If I was in the city,
I'd have long ago made the nightly news! My 20 yr old truck has a
carburetor, and my bike(s) has 10 speeds.  I ride a 23 yr old bike to work
every day. I heat my cabin with wood, and chill it with the cool canyon air
each nite. I get my daily water from my creek only 50 ft away, and I know
when its clean or dirty..I don't have a cell phone, but I look forward to
stem cell research that may cure me of some unseen future cancer (once the
w's are out of office).  I use gps at work when forced to; I call it hocus
pocus, and when I go hiking, it's with a map, and sometimes a compass..  I
have kept all my 30+yr old camping and hiking gear, but am willing to
buy/try all the new super light trail gear. I need lotsa choices to go
hiking, and these old bones need that extra sil-edge to climb those hills to
live, but they rejoice when the vintage campsite gear takes them back to the
early 1970s. I have too many film cameras, and love digital cameras, but
I'll keep them all. Those pesky sunspots and nukes, ya know....could burp
anytime.  I have a 3yrold pc and a dial up modem, otherwise I'd continue
living the life of a hermit, in a cabin on a creek in the wilderness....with
only bears, squirrels, my dog, and Bigfoot to talk to...Greg it might just
be you, or it's the itchy feeling we could all be falling into the
cybercracks of the 21st century... Cut the cord, blue tooth, what not, and
go disappear into the wilderness.. I'll stay here on my creek, with plugs
pulled, living the simple life, when all this cyber craps out.  Hey Bigfoot,
pass me another beer....
~~~~~^^^^^^^^~~~~~~~~^^~^~^~^~^~^^^^^^^~~~~^~~~^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^~~
Is it just me or are all of the electronic conveniences that we rely on
taking a huge dump right now?  The list servers go down, my cell phone
messages get
delivered two days later, my computer at home is acting like a sick robot,
my
truck is miss firing, I can't send emails "right now, try again later", I
get
hung up on waiting to get a permit from the USFS FOUR times!!!!

Are there sun spots going on or something?

"When the complex technology that this society so heavily relies upon
catastrophically fails, it will be that small segment of society that
understands how
to intimitately live close to the land that will not only survive, but
indeed
thrive!"
                                        Greg "Strider" Hummel
                                         on the PCT- List 2006