[pct-l] Angeles Crest Highway closure & water report

moon dancer idmoondancer at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 8 17:37:25 CDT 2006

I hiked yesterday (7 July 2006) over Mt. Baden-Powell, from Vincent Gap to Islip Saddle.  The reason for this post is that I was unaware of the precise situation with respect to the closure of Angeles Crest Highway.  Of course, I knew the highway was closed in between the ending points of my hike.  However, the highway is also closed west of Islip Saddle, to the vicinity of the Eagles Roost Picnic Area.  This caused some difficulty as I had arranged to have my friend pick me up at Islip Saddle, a point to which she was unable to drive.  She and I did eventually get together, with the assistance of some people in a car who were able to open the gates that keep traffic off the closed areas.  Anyway, just wanted to pass this on so no one else enters into a similar situation.  Interestingly, the website for California highway conditions,
  http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/, does not include the closed section between Eagles Roost and Islip Saddle.

  Re water sources in this section: both Lamel and Little Jimmy Springs have good, easily obtainable water (7 July 2006).