[pct-l] a quote we can relate to

JoAnn M. jomike at cot.net
Tue Jul 4 13:31:27 CDT 2006

I found the choosing of how we live to pertain to we hikers very specifically. Our love of the out-of-doors, our dreams of hiking not only the pct but other trails also, both long and short, are choices we make to ourselves to keep our passion alive. Or is our passion that keeps us certain of our choices about hiking and those we come in contact with during the hiking. Regardless, I do not know how you all we relate to the following, I just felt a strong urge to share it with the list.

JoAnn, who also has passion for what July 4th represents to this country

All men and women are born, live suffer and die; what distinguishes us one from another is our dreams, whether they be dreams about worldly or unworldly things, and what we do to make them come about... We do not choose to be born. We do not choose our parents. We do not choose our historical epoch, the country of our birth, or the immediate circumstances of our upbringing. We do not, most of us, choose to die; nor do we choose the time and conditions of our death. But within this realm of choicelessness, we do choose how we live.

  - Joseph Epstein