[pct-l] NoBo Hiker Sighting

Steel-Eye chelin at teleport.com
Sat Jul 1 21:00:21 CDT 2006

Good evening, all,

Ganj and I spent Saturday, 24 June, on a PCTA trail maintenance crew cleaning down timber off about 5 miles of PCT south of Frog Lake, which is just south of Mt. Hood.  Early afternoon the call went out to shut down the chainsaws to let some NoBo hikers pass. We were surprised to learn the two of them had left Campo and were headed for Manning, strange since it is way too early for thru hikers in N. Oregon, and they were way too clean.  They were Turbo and Sunstroke, and they had left the trail somewhere in central California, skipped to hike for a while up by Burney, then skipped again to Portland.  They had just recently returned to the trail at Olallie Lake, and were headed for Manning.  In spite of the fact that they are going to get into a bunch of snow further north, I was tempted to pitch the grunt tools into the brush and fall in with them, but I didn't.  Oh well, next year...

Steel-Eye