[pct-l] Bishop Pass resupply/Roper's high route/bear cannister

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Sun Dec 31 22:47:50 CST 2006

One of the most beautiful hikes in the Sierra is from LeConte Canyon
over Bishop Pass to South Lake and resupply.  Parchers camp will hold
packages.  I think you could pay them to drop them off too, down on the
PCT.

But the hike is beyond spectacular.  The changing view of The Citadel
across the canyon as you walk up the east wall is so awesome.  About
800' up there is a stream and a camp with view.

I always thought that an adventuresome thru-hiker in a low snow year
would leave lower palisade lake and head up towards Knapsack Pass and
through Dusy Basin to South Lake for resupply.  It's part of the the
Sierra high route, and chronicled in Roper's book.  that would save
4000' of descending into le conte canyon and climbing to bishop pass or
so if south lake were a resupply point.  Now if there were only a way to
wind our way over to Muir Pass without going all the way down into Le
Conte canyon...

And I dont see the concern for bear cannisters.  You don't have to use
them unless you want.  the thru-hiker pass makes a difference here.  If
you want to carry one of them, do so. If not, use the bear boxes...

Jeff, just Jeff...