[pct-l] Mouseproofing

Kurt Herzog kpherzog at terragon.com
Sat Dec 30 18:11:23 CST 2006

Here's a couple of light-weight ways to foil mice
(and raccoons, as well):
You can buy new, unused 1-gallon paint cans at any
paint store for about 75 cents.  They weigh about
4 oz and will hold food for 2 or 3 days depending
on what you eat.  For longer trips get two cans
and solder or epoxy the bottoms together, giving a
can opening at both ends.  Cans will also pack
water, and you could cook in them as well.

Popcorn cans are another possibility.. the kind
popped corn is sold in.  You can probably find new
cans at a large shop that sells popcorn, at least
Blind George's Newsstand here in Grants Pass has
them.

I was once told that a virulent insect repellant
saturated into the cloth of a food sack would
deter mice, but I have never tried it or seen it
in use.  Sounded too messy and smelly for me.

And of course you could always "hang" your food
the way we used to against bears, but don't try it
in raccoon (or bear) country!

Kurt P. Herzog
Grants Pass, Oregon