[pct-l] multi use bear cans

Marcia gottawalk at pacbell.net
Fri Dec 29 13:24:05 CST 2006

My dream bear canister would be titanium threaded in the middle so one half would be my cooking pot. It would probably be the lightest weight and also the most expensive canister but would protect the food, be a cooking/ laundry/sitting/etc multi use item.

I carried a garcia stuffed with 5 days' food for two on our JMT hikes and on our PCT thru. The best part about the canister is the worry free camping. At Cathedral Lake a HUGE bear cruised like a VW bug into our campsite, looked at the canister and made a u-turn. We then heard whistles, shouts and banging pots farther down the lake as the next group of campers defended their food.

GottaWalk