[pct-l] BEAR CANS haha

Slyatpct at aol.com Slyatpct at aol.com
Fri Dec 29 12:46:39 CST 2006

Last year I rented a Garcia for the JMT and thought besides being a  tad
small, it was a pain in the butt.  However, I did like the fact I  didn't have to
worry about my food, or atleast the food, that actually fit in  the canister.
I also liked the rental price, $5 for the trip.  Next  year, I'll be on the
JMT again and will most likely bite the bullet and buy a  Bearvault.  Not only
are they bigger and lighter, I like the fact you can  see into them.  I'd go
for an even lighter Bearikade but can't see  spending that kind of money.

In a departure from 99/00 when I only used bear boxes, where available, or
slept with my food (even in Lyell Canyon without any problems)  if I hike  the
PCT again, and it looks like I am in 2008, I'll most likely carry the
Bearvault from KM to Sonoro Pass.

Sly

 scourtway at bpa-arch.com writes:

The  greatest advantage to carrying the CAN is......

you don't have to  worry about bears !!!

All this sleep away from everybody else (seems  very antisocial) , no
flashlights, no cooking in camp etc. etc. etc. just  so you don't have to
size up your pack a bit for the sierra section and  carry a 1.5 lb. aluminum
can ?  Does not compute.

With the  CAN, you can sleep in the hottest spot you can find (like near the
outlet  of thousand island lake) and awake to and enjoy the 2 AM sounds of a
monster blackie stomping around your camp, slobbering in disgust as he
knocks over the damn thing and moves on.  THAT is my kinda  fun.