[pct-l] A few quick questions- Scott's comment

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Fri Dec 29 04:41:43 CST 2006

All the posts concerning bear canisters and sleeping with your food have
valid points.
Scott, however also has a valid point.
Like Scott I would not recommend anybody sleeping with their food in bear
country.
However, as Scott points out, a large number of through hikers and
ultralighters do just that and
I have to admit I have done so also on several occasions.
Sleeping with your food in bear country is risky, especially with
inexperienced hikers.
It has been my experience, that the hikers I encounter without bear
canisters are either experienced hikers taking special precautions ore
inexperienced hikers that don't know any better.
The inexperienced hiker puts himself at great risk of bear encounter because
he does everything the normal way.
The experienced hiker, without a canister, usually hikes solo and minimizes
the risk of bear encounter by sleeping as far away as possible from
designated camp sites or other campers (the usual bear hot spots), cooking
and eating on the trail an hour or so before selecting his camp site and not
using his flash light in camp. This way he is not sleeping were bears have
become accustomed to raiding camp sites, creates no cooking odors or
commotion to signal his presence and most likely will not have any bear
problems.
But there is no guarantee and if a bear does invade your camp you are much
more vulnerable.
It's just you and the bear, he will not be as intimidated by just little old
you and is probably thinking if he gives me any trouble I'll knock his head
off.
I always like to gather a pile of rocks to throw at the bear should one
invade my camp site.
Usually you can scare him off, but not always and keep your distance, before
he gets your food.
But, if he gets a hold of your food he considers it his. Let him have it
don't fight him you'll wind up with the short end of the stick
Again, I do not recommend sleeping with your food but it is a common
practice with many through hikers and ultra lighters.
I will now retreat to my usual customary ''Lurker'' status.

JMT Reinhold
The ''Lurker''