[pct-l] Tape with a Thousand Uses

Hiker97 at aol.com Hiker97 at aol.com
Tue Dec 26 14:15:03 CST 2006

_montypct at gmail.com_ (mailto:montypct at gmail.com)  writes:

I use  some Velcro for my gear. I wonder if this stuff is any different from
the  self-adhesive Velcro I get from Joann Fabrics and Walmart. Joann's will
sell  it in whatever length you need too.

The stuff I get has a very  strong adhesive, but I still sew or staple it on
for a little peace of  mind.  Just a thought on saving a few pennies on
shipping costs  etc.  May not be the same stuff.  ??

I know the stuff you are talking  about.  The hook & loop (Velcro type) I
mentioned at at REI does not  have any adhesive or glue on it.  It is just a
simple tape that attaches to  itself.  I love this stuff.

The only adhesive Velcro  type tape I use is on the bottom of my tent and
foam sleeping  pad.  I added some SeamSeal to large patches of Velcro to make a
super strong bond.  When I hit camp I just unroll my pad and attach it to  the
bottom of my tent.

In other words, my pad is on the  ground not my tent floor.  My floor is now
protected and I have   a little barrier from rain water if the ground gets too
wet.  Also,  the foam is a little hard to unroll and make flat, so this takes
care of that  problem too.

If I want to move my tent around the campsite because of winds, better
views, or something else, I just undo my TI tent stakes and move  the whole thing
to another site.  Simple.  Note, I hardly ever  stake my tent down, since it
sets up nicely without stakes (freestanding).   I stake it if I think there
might be some strong winds.

Cheers, Switchback