[pct-l] Tipping [was: Whores and the TahquitzInn]

Slyatpct at aol.com Slyatpct at aol.com
Mon Dec 25 10:54:43 CST 2006

In a message dated 12/24/2006 6:57:43 PM Eastern Standard Time,
craigstanton at mac.com writes:

I've  picked up hitch hikers here
and there has never been a hint about  money. Do average Americans
expect a little tip for such a thing? In  an effort to aid my karma
I'd like to find out this sort of stuff  first before pissing off too
many locals and stopping them from  picking up anymore hiker trash
because they think we're all too  cheap to pay for a ride.

I've hitch hiked quite a bit and never thought of tipping or offering gas
money unless the driver went out of their way to take me someplace off their
route.

Similar to motels with envelopes, I also don't believe in tipping  hostels
owners and such unless there's a donation jar.

In America, 15% is a customary tip in restuarants, but varies with  service
received.  In Europe, if I remember correctly the 15% in added to  the menu
price as "service compris"

Sly