[pct-l] SMD gear

Adam Bradley tooloouk79852 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 20 16:02:02 CST 2006

Here is one of the many responses I am cataloging on
SMD equipment:

In defense of Adam (re: bad opinion of Six Moon
Designs) I also had an
issue with customer service on their first version of
the Europa tent.
I used it on a thruhike of the JMT in 2003 and the
tent performed
well--very noisy in the wind and of course, single
walled so I had to
wake and wipe but otherwise a very lightweight and
wonderful shelter.

The problem I had was with the pole that holds the
foot end up in an
arch...the female side of where the poles fit together
cracked--I
managed to finish the hike without it breaking
completely by using
duct tape (yeah, duct tape!)

I did not abuse the tent and it was only 2 or 3 years
old; in my
opinion, too soon for that type of failure unless
there was a defect
in the manufacturing. When I contacted SMD, they
wanted nearly $40 to
replace that 3 foot pole. It irritated me so much that
I will not buy
their products again even tho I thought that the tent
was an excellent
shelter.

  I also got a great review from a highly visible
hiker today.  I am going away for the holiday and
won't be able to follow up with my blog, but rest
assured listo will be back at it after the holiday.

feliz navidad listo