[pct-l] Maildrops

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Sun Dec 17 17:27:06 CST 2006

RE-SUPPLY:

Buy and read Yogi's PCT Handbook  yogi at pcthandbook.com

Several places along the trail have restrictions on size, weight, delivery carrier, handling costs, how long they'll hold packages, etc.

It's really helpful if you write on each box "Hold for PCT Hiker and include expected arrival date.

If you know you will be travelling with others, each of you should address your boxes to all members of your party so that anyone of you can pick up not only their own box but those of any or all of the others. This is especially helpful when you're running late and have to send one person on ahead to make the pick-up before a PO closes, or if someone quits but still wants to make their supplies available to the others.

Here are some re-supply point websites:

Hikertown Hostel in Lancaster, CA
http://mysite.verizon.net/resplj4y/welcometohikertownhostel/

Red's  Meadow Pack Station
http://www.redsmeadow.com/pdf/PackagePickUp.pdf

Muir Trail Ranch
http://www.muirtrailranch.com/resupply.html

Vermillion Valley Resort
http://www.edisonlake.com/resupply.htm

Billie and Ed of Drakesbad Guest Ranch (PCT mile 1353-ish) are now welcoming hikers to send mail drop packages to their address:
  Drakesbad Guest Ranch
  End of Warner Valley Road
  Chester, CA  96020
  Phone: 530-529-1512, ext. 120, leave message
  Available seven days a week, 6 am to 11 pm
  "We would love to have you drop in and share some good conversation with us, have a nice hot shower, a dip in the hot spring pool, a square meal and a cool drink.  You have reached your halfway point and it is time to celebrate.  We hope to see many of you and we wish you a safe and joyful journey.

  Your trail hosts,
  Billie and Ed
  Drakesbad Guest Ranch
  Lassen Volcanic National Park"

Dinsmore's River Haven - Skykomish, WA
http://www.tunneldays.org/Dinsmore.html

Raingear:
You're more apt to need it the further north you go. The Sierras have afternoon thrunderstorms that rarely last more than an hour or two. The entire state of Oregon can be rainy when you arrive. Washington will be, and those rains can continue for several days and be cold and wind-blown Again, more wet weather the further north you go. Personally, after 20 years here in Oregon, I carry 4 oz GoLite Reed W/B rain pants (does double duty as windpants) and a 11 oz Montbell Peak W/B hooded rain jacket. YMMV.

Wandering Bob