[pct-l] Maildrops, Raingear

Scott Polewach spolewach at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 17 14:11:18 CST 2006

1.  How friendly are the post offices and lodges that hold maildrops along
the PCT?  If I send out all my own maildrops before begining my trip, will
(almost) all of them actually be at the post offices/lodges/etc. when I
arrive?  Should I call them in advance and give them a heads up?   I know
that many people say they would not recommend maildrops, but even if I did
the AT again I would do maildrops.  I go into sensory overload at grocery
stores and usually buy at least 50% more food than I need.

2.   How nessecary is rain gear?  I found that I'm too sweaty for gore-tex
to be all that effective.  Will a windshirt and an emergency poncho cut it
for the majority of the trail?  I would (probably) carry a gore-tex jacket
for at least the Sierra, but are there any other areas where I would need
one?

Thanks

Hermes