[pct-l] was (no subject) - May 15th Departure

stillroaming pct at delnorteresort.com
Fri Dec 15 11:58:08 CST 2006

In 2005 I left on May 15th as well. Here's my experience.

> 1. How hot is the desert going to be?
It will be hot on some days. Plan on 100+ temps occassionally.

> 2. Are the water caches all going to be gone?
It doesn't matter because you wouldn't be foolish enough to stake your well
being on them. Plan on permanent water sources. If you find a cache along
the way, have a party.

> 3.  When will I need to pick up bug netting?
Kennedy Meadows is a good place. But carry a bug headnet with you at all
times. It weighs nothing. It could save your sanity in a pinch.

> 4.  Are good desert hiking shirts silk, cotton, or polyester?
I think capilene is the preferred synthetic these days, but polyester is
good. It will get cold at night. You shouldn't have any significant cotton
as part of you gear list. Cotton and silk are ok when it's hot. Not for the
cold, due the their water holding characteristics. In the desert think of
clothing that blocks the sun, this is very, very important.

> 5.     How many miles/day does the 'pack' average?
You could go with low 20's.