[pct-l] MONTY ON REINHOLD

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Thu Dec 14 08:15:32 CST 2006

On Dec. 7, 2007 Monty wrote:........Here's the part in the book ''GATEWAY
GUIDE TO THE JOHN MUIR TRAIL''  that sounds more like our
Reinhold.............

Monty, Monty,
You never fail to amuse me.
You can't believe everything you read, especially if it is based on So & So
heard from So & So who, in turn, heard fom So & So ect...
I don't know where this Guinness Book record Jazz came from.
Yes, I did yo-yo the JMT in 14 days, but not for a record.
The only record I ever went after was the one way unsupported, without
resupply JMT.
Yes, I am guilty of having hiked for 30 years without a sleeping bag....in
the Grand Canyon.
However, in the 30 years that I have hiked the Sierra, I have never ventured
into the Sierra without a sleeping bag or a shelter.
It is true that on my JMT fastpacks I do not wear underwear or take my cloth
off to get into the sleeping bag because I need to wear all my cold weather
cloth to stay warm in my 16 oz Western Mountaineering sleeping bag
[graciously donated by WM].
Hhhhmmm? How can I crawl int a sleeping bag if I do not carry one?
And the statement  ''You can't hike at that pace and enjoy what you are
doing'' is nothing more than sour grapes eletism.....HYOH....but do it my
way.....reminding me of the TURTLE, lumbering  under it's heavy armor,
chasticizing the RABBIT for going to light and fast and not enjoying the
journey.
YES, I am a repeat offender and will never repent, nor will I ever drag 6
pair designer under wear, morning coat and smoking jacket into the
wilderness.
By the way, I don't know about the Girls, but a lot of the guys don't wear
underwear when hiking.
So condemn me, for life, to join Switchback as a PCT pooper scooper, drag me
down the PCT behind a team of horses, tar and feather me for every one to
see that I am a violator of the elite snappy as can be and cozy and comfy as
can be backpacker code.
But, I truly  believe, if ever brought before a jury of my own peers,
[hard-core backpackers not  weekend powder puffs] they will find me innocent
of having violated the hard-core backpacker code and I will be free to hike
my beloved JMT the way I want to, as fast as I want to, with or without
underwear, smoking jacket or morning coat.
YES,  I  BELIEF  IN  TRAIL  JUSTICE.
With this I rest my case of which I'm certain.
I think I will now retread to my usual customary  ''LURKER
STATUS''........until further provoked by Monty or Switchback

JMT Reinhold
The lurker