[pct-l] America the Beautiful - the National Parks and Federal Lands", Interagency Recreation Pass Program Rollout

arm chair armchairhiker at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 12:24:43 CST 2006

Here are some of the links so far:

 http://store.usgs.gov/pass/index.html

https://buy.nationalparks.org/default.asp?ref=nps ?

http://www.recreation.gov.

http://www.recreation.gov/recpass.jsp   - compares the old to new passes

I just called the local forest service people and the person I spoke with
about it will be on a conference call this afternoon to be trained on the
old vs. new passes. He said he would be happy to ask a couple of questions
on my behalf and that I can call him back in a couple of days to get some
clarification.

My questions so far:

National Parks Pass ($50) with the eagle hologram ($15more) = GOLDEN EAGLE
PASSPORT ($65) - Yes. both of these passes will be honored until they
expire, but won't be available for purchase after jan 1 07 as the new
America the beautiful pass will take their place - Yes.

The above (old/current) passes let everyone in the car into the area - Yes

The new pass only lets 4 people in the car into the area - Yes. The others
have to pay.

Does the new pass and ANYTHING of value to the hiker over the old pass? - He
will ask.

Basically I want to know - Should I buy the GOLDEN EAGLE PASSPORT before the
end of Dec 06? Or is there anything added to the new pass that I might miss
out on?

The only added thing so far is - Bureau of Reclamation access. I don't know
if I as I hiker have to pay currently or will every cross their lands? Does
someone out there know more?

I will post what I learn from the forest service in a few days. In the mean
time does any one know more?