[pct-l] the on-trail obstacles of LD hiking

Matt Maxon matt at mattmaxon.com
Sat Dec 9 07:38:15 CST 2006

Mtnned
While I haven't hiked the whole PCT (yet!), I gotta be a section hiker, due
to long standing responsiblities.

But that aside, I hike outside of the "Thru Hiker Season" and many segments
of the PCT are infrequently traveled at best, you can hike for day's on end
and meet no one.

So for me it is over coming the "fear" of being alone, but as time has gone
on I have come to enjoy my outings....

There are the enevitable, fears when doing something you've not done before,
or just being someplace new. For me a lot of mental energy is expended in
orienting myself, making sure I'm on track, what is coming up next, where is
the water.

There is dealing with your own doubt's too, you're hiking up some really
steep segment, it is blazing hot, you're outta water, gnats and fly's
buzzing, and you say to you're self "WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING OUT HERE?".

But you get to the top, the cool breezes take over, you find that spring,
WAHOO what a view, "I wonder what the poor people are doing today?".

But I think if you can beat those doubts, eliminate the negative thoughts,
you can do it.

Cheers
Trail90