[pct-l] encouragement

enyapjr at comcast.net enyapjr at comcast.net
Fri Dec 8 09:22:36 CST 2006

As you can see, Linda, all the responses so far suggest you follow your desires...  And I surely won't
say otherwise...

I've had the "dream" for years, but life's previous commitments, obligations, and responsibilities have
been put first...  But the dream and planning are alive and well...  It's not a matter of "if" I will go, but
rather "when"...

I'm 56 years 'young' (you are only as old as you 'make' yourself feel) and have most, if not all, of the
lightweight gear needed for me to have a successful thru-hike...  I've been backpacking since the 60's
and have 'lightened' my (equipment) load a 'ton' over the years...

So, I only have three suggestions...  First, go as 'light' as possible with your gear selection that you
are comfortable with (if you haven't already) - it makes a HUGE bodily difference to us 'younger' folks!...
Second, read the excellent series article on BackpackingLight, "Wise Women Go Light" (BPL is a
great resource for lightweight backpacking, a membership will 'pay' for itself - but these articles are
available to non-members, so subscribing isn't necessary)...  There are currently 2, but a 3rd will
follow...  See #1 at <http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/wise_women_go_light_pt1.html>
and #2 at <http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/wise_women_go_light_pt_2.html>...
Third, just "DO IT" - you won't regret TRYING, but you might regret NOT trying later on (and I think
you will be 'successful' in your attempt!)...  So, "go for it!" - you won't be alone in our 'age group',
there's more and more of us 'old farts' hitting the trail for a thru-hike every year...
Hope to see you out on the PCT!

Happy trails!!!