[pct-l] Reinhold

Monty Tam metam01 at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 7 13:08:40 CST 2006

Same book, different German.

Here's the part in the book that sounds more like our Reinhold:

"GETAWAY GUIDE TO THE JOHN MUIR TRAIL
by Guy T. Saperstein (Sierra Club Foundation President)
How Long Should I Take? How Fast Should I Hike?

While Jacobus and I were hiking the JMT, we heard about a German who was
attempting to set a Guinness Book record by hiking the JMT both ways in
just two weeks—i.e., approximately 32 miles a day. We didn't actually meet
him (he probably passed us by in the middle of the night), but we spoke
with many JMT hikers about him. Absolutely no one we spoke with understood
why anyone would want to do such a trip, other than just to get a name in a
record book, because you can't hike at that pace and enjoy what you are
doing. He was hiking so fast, we were told, that to conserve weight he
didn't even carry a sleeping bag. Also, he didn't want to take the time
taking clothes off to get into his bag or to put them back on in the
morning."

Warner Springs Monty

on the JMT.  Can't be you because he gives his name as "Reinhold Messner"
and yours is "Metzger".