[pct-l] RE Solo hiking

Adam Bradley tooloouk79852 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 6 20:57:59 CST 2006

Hello All,
  I guess I can start posting on some of the great
discourse surrounding solo hiking.  In my past I have
spent 13 years guiding folks on river trips every
summer.  This summer spent on the PCT was the first
summer ol listo had all to himself.  I never once
wished I was somewhere else, as I knew all to soon I
would be back at the grind (but it is a awesome
grind).  The last thing I wanted to do was start at
some big "party", be part of a wad, cluster, pod, herd
or whatever it is called when large groups of folks
start lumbering north.  I really enjoyed the alone
time, time to reflect.  The ability to make my own way
without having to consult with others.  Here is the
kicker though.  I got real lonely at the end, and
after meeting really neat folks towards the end I was
sucked in.  I found myself worrying about other
hikers, wondering how they where doing and what not.
I can honestly say that every interaction I had with
folks on trail this year was enriching.  The thought
or notion that thru hiking is about the people is not
true in my mind.  I really liked my interactions with
non trail folks as well.  For example, one evening I
was fed unexpectedly by some RVers.  They mentioned
that all the hikers that had come thru before me where
extremely rude (gave what I would call stink eye).
They said I was the friendliest hiker they had met,
the patriarch pulling out a chair and making part of
the "family" by the fire.  At another point on trail
this year I met a most interesting fellow named
"Cuervo".  He mentioned the same.  Many of the hikers
that came thru ahead of me gave him trouble about his
impact (he had packstock etc).  Of course some of the
accusations where misdirected at him.  I pulled up
next to cuervo and enjoyed several hours of stories
about his life along our border with mexico.
Fascinating, and lots of trail history about the PCT.
I felt like I was looking into a mirror.  We don't
look alike, but if the planets aligned correctly I
could be that man (never a soldier though).  So yes
the extremes and the unknown is what I look for out
there on the trail.  Just found it interesting that
hikers have a tendency to be cliquish and place
themselves on a pedestal and that RVers, hunters,
motorists, ORVers, loggers, equestrians are not as
good.

Trying on the deep thoughts,
listo del norte

trying to do as I say