[pct-l] Gadzooks!

alec amr10009 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 6 11:20:19 CST 2006

i'll never forget december 31st 1999.

  tioga pass was still open and mammoth wasn't!
  a few of my best friends and i decided to drive up to tuolumne meadows and hike
  to cathedral lake.  what an epic day.  8 inches or so of hardpack snow leading up to
  the lake.  we climbed a few hundred feet up cathedral peak and watched the clouds
  approach.  big, fluffy snowlflakes began to fall as we warmed up some cider on the stove.
  we hiked out as the sun was setting.  the snow was now falling harder.
  made it back to our car (the only one we saw in the meadow) and drove back down
  to our cabin.

  the snow kept falling, y2k turned out be "chicken little," yeltsin resigned AND tioga
  pass was *finally* closed.

  I am SO happy to be able to say that i watched the last sunset of the last millenium
  on cathedral peak.

  thanks for indulging me and allowing me to share a beautiful memory.

  p.s. i wonder what is the latest date for the tioga pass closure