[pct-l] of the Triple Crown

Paul Magnanti pmags at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 4 13:22:40 CST 2006

--- Ned Tibbits <ned at mountaineducation.com> wrote:
> I so like your understanding, and especially your
> articulation of it, of the
> value of the long hike, of the benefits that simply
> seep into our souls as
> we walk on.

That's my take on it, anyway. :-)

At this point in my hiking "career", find I talk about
gear and other similar "nuts and bolts" issues less
often.

The value of a long hike is the long hike itself.

To hear about people debating the merits and why
people do these hikes (the purity of their intent?)
makes me scratch my head.  If a person is doing a hike
for his or herself, then it should not really matter
why other people do their hike.

I may not quite see why a person is doing their hike
(still not sure I see the logic of doing a thru-hike
w/o resupply on the AT, for example!), but that's me.
Can't judge that person's hike by my own standards.
(My own standard are suspect anyway. ;-D)