[pct-l] O.d.Coyote??? Not quite...

Ginny & Jim Owen spiritbear2k at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 1 20:18:44 CST 2006

Ron Moak wrote:

>When I wrote my post I attempted to keep it short, to the point and
>definitively not personal. To that extent, I chose not include either your
>name or quote your words in the post. Knowing you as I have over a number
>of
>years, I did have that queasy feeling as I penned those words that you
>would
>indeed take it personal and, as you've done to various posters to whom
>you've disagreed with in the past; attempt to lay me out with everything in
>your verbal arsenal.

LOL!!! - you HAVE forgotten.  I'm not gonna make big thing out of this, so -
two comments.

First - you need to look at what you wrote - you called me an elitist,
accused me of trying to invalidate others hikes/Triple Crown awards (which,
incidentally was a total misquote) and being divisive.  Why would anyone
think that's not a personal attack?  You maybe should know that Ginny and I
have spent the last 2+ years being attacked, insulted and lied about by
someone who's apparently playing the "character assassination" game.  And
then we got home and found that Backpacker had misquoted us (no -
"egregiously" misquoted us) in their on-line long trails article.  Took us
three weeks to get that one straightened out.  So I'm a little proddy about
that kind of thing right now.

Second - you HAVE forgotten - that there were (and still are) specific
reasons why I would "lay someone out."  Attacking Ginny would be at the top
of the list.  Insisting that "your" way (no - not "you" as in "Ron"
specifically) is the one and only true way to thruhike - or to do [whatever]
- like water treatment, for example?  Attacking thruhikers or thruhiking in
general (remember bj?)  Trying to pass off utter stupidity or dumb-ass ideas
as valid information or arguments (like - a GPS is necessary on the CDT).
Trying to justify stupid, unethical or immoral acts as valid thruhiking
behavior (HYOH does NOT mean you can burn down the barn - or even break into
it). And finally - at the bottom of the list - personal attacks on moi.
There are a few (very few) others, but you get the general drift.

Now - being a retired 'rocket scientist', I'm too bloody busy for this kind
of nonsense.  I have a lot of stuff to wrap up after this year's thru, a
bathroom to rebuild for my daughter and a dozen other projects to finish
before we do whatever it is we're gonna do next year.  No - we don't know
what we'll be doing yet - but if we had our druthers, we'd be back on the
CDT.  So anyone who's tempted to go into attack mode should be warned -
interfering with my life by saying things that are calculated to piss me off
is a REALLY bad idea.  For the present, that's one of the "few" other
reasons.  <G>

Walk softly,
Jim

http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/