[pct-l] BearVault

Aaron Wallace aaron at skeeky.com
Wed Aug 30 11:55:34 CDT 2006

(Sorry, the previous message was accidentally sent before I finished
typing...)

The only restriction on the BearVault is that the older verisons are not
allowed in the Rae Lakes region, where the bears have learned that they
can pop off the lids by compressing the sides of the canister:

http://www.sierrawildbear.gov/foodstorage/approvedcontainers.htm

While I'd guess that a modified canister wouldn't be considered an
approved food storage device, it's also true that the BearVaults can be
a real pain to open, even with a big brain, opposable thumbs and tools.
This is especially true if it is cold or sand and dirt gets into the
threads of the lid.  It also depends on the specific lid--apparently the
manufacturing process results in some variation in lid sizes, and some
are easier to open than others.  As long as some squeezing of the lid is
needed to unscrew the lid, I wouldn't worry--unless it's 28 degrees and
sand is blowing around at Trail Camp and you're trying to get breakfast
out of the BearVault.  In that case, you might want to bring along your
chisel...  or invite one of the industrious Rae Lakes bears along :-)