[pct-l] Giardia Lamblia and Giardiasis

Monty Tam metam01 at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 27 00:48:13 CDT 2006

Similar to you Jeff
I haven't hiked with a filter for a couple or three years.
I carry bleach to chlorinate water in the few cases where I'm doubtful.
I don't trust warm water sources like the Kern River at Kennedy Meadows,
Deep Creek Hot Springs, or the McCloud River.  Almost ever present
parasites and bacteria multiply faster in warmer conditions.  In all three
of these areas in 04 hikers got a little sick.  In a hurry one morning I
grabbed some McCloud River water without adding a couple drops of bleach.
Whether that was the cause or not, I got very, very sick in the next(P)
section.  The Etna Clinic, after testing, said it wasn't Giardia.  After
treating my illness with enough cheeseburgers, fries, pie and ice cream, I
was able to hike on.
In mostly using nothing to treat water for over 4000 miles, I've had one
VERY severe day of illness.  I treat more often in those doubtful areas now
even though the water may or may not have been the cause of my illness..

Warner Springs Monty