[pct-l] Timberline Lodge to Cascade Locks

Wayne Kraft wayneskraft at comcast.net
Sat Aug 26 22:25:36 CDT 2006

Just returned from a three day backpack of this section, using the
Eagle Creek Trail alternate route.  Camped with Listo (journal:
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=4132  website:
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=4132) Thursday night
at Salvation Springs  Had a good discussion with him while packing up
in the morning and enjoyed looking over his highly organized pack and
nano-gear.   I started at Timberline Lodge at 1:30 pm on Wednesday
and met my wife and daughter for Charburgers in Cascade Locks at 3:15
pm today (Saturday).  Listo started at Timberline almost exactly a 24
hours later, caught me at Salvation Springs about nightfall the same
day and upon parting mentioned his intent to be at Cascade Locks
before the PO closed that day.  Appears he was going about twice as
fast as me and doing it with ease.

A brace of trail notes:

The USNF has hung up signs just after the Sandy River crossing (easy
this year in the early morning:  crossed with dry feet across two
logs) which encourage PCT hikers to take the Bald Peak Trail rather
than the actual PCT route as the PCT route across the Big Muddy is
impossible to maintain.  Having crossed it with considerable
difficulty in 2003 and assuming that things have probably gotten
worse since, I think this is probably a good idea, but it is a bit
confusing.  The Bald Mountain Trail crosses the Big Muddy downstream
from the PCT on a nice bridge (with a separate stock ford at another
location) and rejoins the PCT, oddly enough, at the Bald Mountain
Summit (a three way trail junction that also requires one to pay
attention  - you can easily be fooled into taking the southbound
rather than northbound trail).

I had intended to go all the way to Cascade Locks on the PCT, but was
sucked into the Eagle Creek vortex.  Sitting on the shore of Wahtum
Lake I contemplated the 13 miles of PCT from there to Cascade Locks
with only one campsite and little or no reliable water sources,
thinking about carrying all that water and camping at a rather
nondescript and inconveniently located campsite and comparing that to
the Eagle Creek trail with 6 or 8 good campsites and myriad flowing
streams, I lightened my load (of water) and headed for Eagle Creek.
I can't think of any good reason not to, unless you are a horse.

There appears to be some guide book and hiker confusion about what to
do upon reaching the northern terminus of the Eagle Creek Trail. The
trail ends at one, but not the only parking lot in the area.  To
access Cascade Locks, the Eagle Creek Trail alternate route hiker
must simply continue north along the access route to this parking lot
1/2 mile to another larger parking lot to the right of the access
road.  There is a large restroom facility on the south side of this
parking lot if you wish to freshen up before entering the metropolis
of Cascade Locks.  Adjacent to the rest room facility is a travel
trailer occupied by Fran and Wayne (no relation), the volunteer park
hosts.  If you are confused about any little thing, ask them and they
will help you,  but don't break into any of the cars parked there or
they will bring the law down on you.  Anyway, to get to Cascade
Locks, ignore the parking lot and focus your attention due north on a
paved road leading straight toward busy I-94.  Head that direction
past the fish hatchery and you will soon see one bicycle, then
another painted on the roadway.  Follow the bikes as this "trail"
turns east around the north side of the fish hatchery.  You will soon
see a sign announcing that you are on Gorge Trail 400 and are 2.4
miles from Cascade Locks.  Gorge Trail 400 actual runs 35 miles and
extends both east and west from the Eagle Creek Trail access road.
By this time you've already noted and wisely passed by the GT400 west
bound which traverses a suspension bridge back by the parking lot.
This section of GT400 is not really a trail.  It is an abandoned
section of the famous Historic Columbia River HIghway, which you can
read about (http://www.cr.nps.gov/hps/hli/currents/columbia/
intro.htm) and discover the origin of the expression "What in Sam
Hill?!" This section of GT 400 begins right next to the interstate,
but then curves a bit to the south and winds 2.4 miles from the fish
hatchery over hill and dale then jogs north through a tunnel under
the interstate, parallels the interstate on the north side and
eventually spills out into the parking lot of the Charburger
Restaurant and Best Western Inn. All told, it is just about 3 miles
from the trailhead to the Charburger.

So there you have it.

Wayne Kraft