[pct-l] Giardia Lamblia and Giardiasis

Ken Powers kdpo at gottawalk.com
Fri Aug 25 20:31:33 CDT 2006

We had the exact opposite experience. We have carried a Pur (now Katadyn)
Hiker on 4 long distance hikes. We have had clogged filters, but you can
flush them to help a little. When our filter starts getting slow we carry an
extra for awhile. We figure on replacing the filter cartridge every 1000
miles or so.

Our experience with Sweetwater was that it lasted for less than 2 weeks
before we could not pump it any more. Who knows, it may have been silty
water clogging the filter. But cleaning the filter per the instructions did
no good. It made a quick trip to the trash in the next town.

As far a cleaning it: we sometimes remember to run bleach thru it and let
then dry the filter cartridge overnight. Then it goes into the drawer with
all the other gear.

Ken
...GottaWalk