[pct-l] Eating Wheat Free

Rebecca Mezoff rlmezoff at cybermesa.com
Thu Aug 24 14:22:45 CDT 2006

Hi Ellie mae!
Thanks for your encouragement about eating on the trail.  I think I'm
the person who started this thread.  I actually have celiac disease
which is an autoimmune disease and not a wheat allergy... so I
absolutely can't under any circumstances have anything with gluten in
it (leads to all kinds of nasty short and long term side effects the
immediate one being the destruction of my small intestine and
resulting pain)... which is what makes my condition so tricky because
so many things have hidden gluten.  But you're right that there are
many people who are gluten sensitive who can get away with things
like an occasional beer or a slice of pizza or aren't bothered by the
wheat which is in almost all salad dressings.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to have to make heavy use
of the United States Postal Service even if that means waiting in
town over a weekend to pick up a box.  There seems to be no way
around it so I might as well start the dehydrator now because it is
going to take the next 8 months for me to make that much food.  :)

Thanks to everyone else who has send me messages on and off the list
about my eating dilemma.  You all have some really great
suggestions! .... and most of them I'm actually going to use.  There
are many things in most backpacking recipes that I can't eat (besides
the wheat base) like the soup mixes and MSG, and things like Lipton
Rice Sides are also out... but I'm getting better at substituting
things.  There also seems to be some kind of refried bean theme going
which is intriguing to me.  I think I'll start eating the beans
awhile before getting on the trail though so I don't get a trail name
like Rolling Thunder!  (who's journal is great by the way!)

I think we all need to pay attention to good nutrition and I guess
maybe in one way I'm lucky that celiac disease makes me look pretty
carefully at everything I eat... hopefully that will help me be more
aware of eating well on the trail and that will certainly help get me
to Canada.
Thanks again for the assistance and support!
Rebecca