[pct-l] Do you really not want to hear?

Robert Ellinwood rellinwood at worldnet.att.net
Thu Aug 24 10:24:40 CDT 2006

L-Rod,   I couldn't agree with you more!    HYOH, I realize... but why would I want to miss out on all the wonderful natural sounds I don't get to hear in city settings?  I find them variously pleasing, curious, educational, relaxing, as well as alarming.  One risk in wearing headphones - ear buds or otherwise - is the obvious one of missing the buzz of a rattlesnake (or the song of a rattlesnake, as Deems Burton once called it).  I want to be aware of distant thunder quickly and also to hear that quiet "crack" in the woods behind me.

This summer a hiker just ahead of me on the PCT headed off on a side track up a narrow slot canyon, presumably for a nature stop.  I playfully yelled, "Going the wrong way!"   No response.   Hours later, we met again and she ruefully admitted that she had been so engrossed in her music that she hadn't heard me at all.  She said she eventually "came to" and realized there were no footprints ahead of her in this tight ravine.  She listened to music on her headphones, she said, because otherwise she got bored.

As a music prof who lives in a house called, "Windsong," I want everyone to enjoy all kinds of music... but not to miss the "natural" kind!

“Only by going alone in silence can one truly get into the heart of the wilderness."
-  The Life and Letters of John Muir

Dr Bob