[pct-l] Safety on the PCT

Carolyn Eddy ECPG at peoplepc.com
Thu Aug 17 00:20:21 CDT 2006

Having spent a lot of time alone on trails, I can add: Learn to trust your
gut. If someone seems funny, don't require yourself to be polite, just leave
the vicinity. If you see groups who are obviously local, and look dependable
you might ask them about trail conditions such as safety.

Also, be extremely vague as to your camping plans. Say something like "over
there", (while pointing off into the distance) or, "I haven't decided, I
might make another 5 miles today", leaving honest hikers to marvel at your
prowess but not giving any info  until you  are sure these are people you
want to spend your time with.

And if you get a bad feeling, pack up quickly and head out. Develop a
hostile attitude. Practice this at home before you go.

Another ploy is to pull out a cell phone and talk on it, even if it's dead,
it will make someone think twice about accosting you. Or if you really want
to freak them out, tell them you hear your mother calling. That's a real
conversation stopper.

That said I've only had a very few negative interactions and they were all
in my duties as a wilderness ranger, a job where it's much more likely to
talk to people who have problems.

Carolyn Eddy
"Sweet Goat Mama"
www.goattracksmagazine.com