[pct-l] Burned area recovery

cmkudija at earthlink.net cmkudija at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 16 11:14:47 CDT 2006

Rick is right, too.  However, I was referring specifically to the _oaks_
Mike mentioned, which are more or less in my neighborhood, about 30 miles
north, and in the vicinity of the Tejon Ranch where the new/old PCT route
will go.  California oaks, walnuts, sycamores - generally broadleaf
evergreen and deciduous trees and shrubs in the chaparral - are adapted to
periodic fire.  From what I've heard of THIS fire, it's not the hot, intense
kind that sterilizes the soil and forms a hydrophobic barrier that inhibits
seed germination.  In _this_ case, the oaks are more than likely to have all
their present foliage and smaller branches and twigs burned completely.  In
about a month or two, new shoots will emerge from the blackened trunks, and
eventually form new branch structures.  I've observed this in a canyon where
I regularly hike, which burned to a moonscape in the fall of '03.
EVERYTHING there was just soot and ashes - and the fires had been incredibly
hot, exacerbated by hot weather.  There was discussion at that time of
vegetation not coming back the way it should, hydrophobic soil layers, etc,
etc, etc.   Well, what happened was what I described above - and last
summer, trail maintenance involved clearing huge mustard stems from the
trail margins with loppers (I did my share - it was fun!).  Most of the
oaks, walnuts, sycamores, and other chaparral shrubs are happily growing new
foliage, with only those on high, exposed ridges having succumbed to the
fires.

Conifers are different - e.g. the 1993 Rainbow fire area near Mammoth (not
decades ago - 13 years).  Conifers, with some exceptions, aren't fire
adapted in the same way oaks are (where the parent tree survives the fire
and new shoots arise from dormant nodes in the trunk).  Instead, they may
have cones that require high heat to "open" and shed their seeds, or seed
coats that require fire or abrasion to permit water to enter and thus
germinate, or simply open areas in the forest to allow sunlight in for new
growth to occur.  All that's happening in the Rainbow Fire area; it's just a
slower process than post-fire chaparral recovery.

I hiked through there in the summer of '94.  There were chest-high lupines
carpeting the forest floor, creating a stunning contrast to the burned tree
trunks.  Lupines are legumes, and enjoy a relationship with nitrogen-fixing
bacteria in nodules in their roots.  The bacteria actually take in
atmospheric nitrogen (a necessary plant nutrient) and fix it in the soil,
helping new plant growth.   I hiked through there last fall, and was
surprised that there wasn't more vegetation, and I did notice substantial
erosion processes - but the soil there is loose, fast-draining volcanic
tuff, and it's a more difficult environment for a new forest to develop.
Not as much water is available in the soil during the growing season,
because the soil won't hold it - consequently it's likely going to take
longer for that forest to recover, even with the substantial winter snows
this area receives.   Knees willing, I'll be hiking through there again in a
couple of weeks, and get to see what changes have occurred this year.

Can you tell I'm an optimist about Nature's ability to recover?  I grieve
when humans start horrific fires and do other things to trash our
environment and our beloved PCT, but yet I'm basically optimistic - don't
know why.

Christine "Ceanothus" Kudija , trail optimist
PCT partially '94

www.pcta.org
Join Now!

Ceanothus (see-ah-no-thus) or California lilac:  Shrubs or small trees,
often with divaricate, sometimes spiny, twigs...[flowers] small but showy,
white to blue or purplish, sometimes lavender or pinkish, borne in terminal
or lateral panicles or umbellike cymes.
                                                               Philip A.
Munz
                                                               A California